FOOTSTEPS of BYZANTIUM
- Byzantine Empire ruled Istanbul for centuries long. This eastern empire’s footsteps can still be seen in Istanbul for its glory.
- Hagia Sophia
- Chora Church
- City walls
- Golden Horn & Greek Orthodox Patriarchy
- Great Palace Mosaics
- Basilica Cistern
After you meet with your guide at the lobby, you will begin your tour of the Footsteps of Byzantium, at Hagia Sophia*. Built by the Emperor Justinian in the early 6th century AD and designed by Anthemius of Tralles and Isodore of Miletus, the church is one of the marvels of world architecture. Converted into a mosque in 1453, it is now a museum. Its massive dome still dominates the skyline of old Istanbul. It is also famed for its mosaics, including glittering portraits of emperors and empresses and a poignant Virgin and Child. Next we visit the Basilica Cistern which takes its name from Stoa Basilica. Constructed for Justinianus I, the Byzantium Emperor (527-565), this big underground water reservoir is called as “Yerebatan Cistern” among the public because of the underground marble columns. Thereafter we continue to Istanbul City Walls The first city walls of Istanbul were built during 413-477 by the Byzantine Emperor Thedosius II.
Next Golden Horn & Greek Orthodox Patriarchy. Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople, also known as St.George Church, is among the holiest Greek Ortodox church in the world with its 300 million followers. Continue to The Church of the Holy Saviour in Chora is a medieval Byzantine Greek Orthodox church preserved as the Chora Museum.
After the tour we will be back to our hotel.
- Professional English speaking tour guide approved by Ministry of Culture & Tourism.
- Entrance fees to the sites & museums.
- Private vehicle with professional driver.
- Tips / gratuities for your local guide.
- Any meal
- You can customize your plan. Simply contact us for tailor making your plan.
- We can provide tour guides other than English speaking tour guides. They may introduce slight increase on the price. Please ask for further info.
- Comfortable walking shoes and clothing, a hat, sun glasses, and sunscreen are recommended.